Home Insurance

Call 800.218.0250 for a home insurance quote.

About Florida Home Insurance

Homeowners Insurance Policies in Florida protect against loss or destruction of property when your home, grounds, and other structures on the property experience damage from storms, fires, and vandalism, among other perils.

Whether you’ve settled down in the excitement of Daytona or the cultural haven of Miami, protecting your home is essential. Living anywhere in Florida, your home can undergo damage from storms, break-ins and floods just as much as anywhere else. Especially susceptible to flooding and hurricane damage, there are several coverage types to consider when you own property near the water or in the unpredictable path of a hurricane.

Throughout the state of Florida, there is always the potential that a copper pipe will burst or your roof will leak, requiring a bit more time, work and cash than a leaky faucet. Depending on your coverage, in a qualifying event, your policy can pay your home’s entire replacement cost or help cover certain repairs.

Guide to Home Insurance

Homeowners coverage can pay for damages to your home as well as other structures on your property such as a shed or detached garage. Finding the right policy and the right amount of coverage is pertinent to maintaining and caring for your house.
A common way to get started with home insurance is to shop with the same company who sold you auto insurance, as you can receive a discount for bundling policies. Through our site, you can find accurate quotes for every trusted Florida insurer from the comfort of your home, or call an agent to discuss your options in detail at 386-427-0366.

Homeowners Insurance Features

Most every home insurance policy includes the following coverage types.


Dwelling coverage includes your home, where you live. If your house is damaged in a qualifying event (damages the insurer agrees to pay for, outlined in your policy) it may be repaired or rebuilt up to the amount you purchase. Selecting policy limits that pay for a potential reconstruction is recommended. Examples of common covered losses include heating, air conditioning, electrical wiring and plumbing mishaps, such as a broken heater or a frozen pipe. If you have a garage attached to your home, dwelling coverage also pays for any harm that may be caused to that portion of the structure.

Other Structures

You can insure your gazebo, swimming pool, greenhouse, guest house, fence or tool shed, as well as any important investment on your property. The limit for all Other Structures coverage combined is 10 percent of the dwelling limit. As these items can be very valuable and worth keeping in tact like the rest of your home, this coverage can help people with additional structures in their yard.

Personal Property

Personal Property coverage pays for the items you keep inside your home, often times not including especially costly ones. Special coverage for such items is usually issued separately as it is at a higher risk of going missing. This insurance may offer you cash for the value of stolen or damaged furniture, clothing, sports equipment, instruments, computers, televisions and other electronics, whether they’re in your home or with you in another country. Many insurance companies offer coverage that reimburses you enough to buy a new television of a similar size and model of the one you lost, rather than the value of a used item. Look for Personal Property Replacement policies for this particular feature, which is an additional coverage.

General Liability

Protecting people who enter your home is called general liability, and it helps keep you protected if someone is hurt on your property. In the event that a guest sues you for medical expenses or damage done to their property while in your home, liability coverage pays for legal representation on your behalf. It can also pay for damages to your neighbor’s front porch after your lawn mower drives itself across the yard.

Additional Living Expenses

If your home is unlivable while being repaired or restored, your policy will pay for temporary housing in an apartment or hotel for the interim. Other living expenses and housing costs can be covered for a certain amount of time, usually about 24 months depending on the insurer.

Extra Home Protection

Additional policies you may want to consider depending on what you own include:

Valuable Articles

That sculpture collection, those fur coats and the 19th century silverware inherited from your great aunt are all susceptible to being stolen during a break-in. Valuable Articles coverage helps pay for items like money, antiques, firearms, fine art and jewelry that are a target for theft. Insurers often have you protect your items by an agreed dollar amount representing the value of those belongings, and reimburse you accordingly with no deductible.

Flood Protection

Flooding is not covered by homeowners insurance policies and requires a separate purchase. However, living at sea level creates an increased risk for water damage, and even in slightly higher elevations the risk remains. Flood Insurance is regulated by the federal government under the National Flood Insurance Protection Program (NFIP), otherwise it might be included in home and property coverage. Premiums are adjusted according to flood zones, as outlined by the government.

Identity Theft

Identity Theft and Identity Recovery are also common additional policies to add to your homeowners coverage. With these low-cost coverages, you can receive reimbursement for lost wages and other costs associated with recovering your identity. Your insurer may also provide personal assistance to help you bounce back from an incident and reduce your overall risk of identity theft in the future.